CIS 701. I wqnt to 'kick the course up a couple of notches' by
1. Having you search the web for a shareware BASIC Language Compiler;
2. Install it if possible on your system at home;
3. Find qbasic.exe on your computer
4. Run qbasic master (which runs qbasic which calls a program called 'master.bas' which is a critical thinking exercise, which has 4 levels, worth 100 each when you beat the game, then capture the screen with the 'Print Screen' key, then paste it to a document.
1. For 100 pts, research this story on the web: BASIC (stands for what?) was created in ____ at Dartmouth College by _______. It was the first high level programming language. Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Microsoft improved on it, and several versions later it evolved to QBASIC, which has evolved to ______. Using the keywords -- free, shareware, download, BASIC -- search the web for free or shareware BASIC compilers. For 100BASIC-HIST, complete this paragraph for Project Notebook.
2. I was impressed with XBASIC from the below link. You may want to download and install a version of BASIC, if you don't have QBASIC already on your computer. http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/windows.html
3. Search from the Start-up menu for qbasic.exe -- why not just type in the Run Box qbasic.exe and let the system find it?
4. Then click http://auciello.tripod.com/master.bas.txt
[saved on web as text file, must be saved as .bas (below)]
5. Save As xx.xxx in a folder named QBASIC (create if necessary). Then rename this (carefully) to master.bas. From the Run Box, type QBASIC master and the QBASIC program should load MASTER.BAS, a game called "MasterMind" written in BASIC. Press <F5> to run it. (This is because when you save a file from the web using Explorer, it does not recognize the .bas extenstion (25pts if you understand what I am talking about.)
701 Master Mind-A 100MMA FERNANDO MENDEZ
STRATEGY: START W. 0,1 .. TRY TO FIND ‘NULL’ VALUE. USE THAT VAULE TO FLUSH OUT OTHER VALUES. PUT IN CORRECT POSITION. TRY-TEST-VERIFY UNTIL SUCCESSFUL. CONCEIVE THEORY IN YOUR MIND, THEN TEST IT. FM. 04.03.21
NOTE FROM PROF. A: FOR LEVELS 5, 6, YOU WILL HAVE TO DEVELOP AN EVEN IMPROVED STRATEGY. IF YOU CAN DO LEVEL 6, PLS TELL ME A.S.A.P. SO WE CAN CELEBRATE!
100 pts for each Level A - D (100MM-A) with an explanation of strategy such as, "I found an incorrect (null) number, then a correct one. I kept positioning the null number to force the correct # into its correct position .... etc."
Demonstrate how music is played on this form, and use of an animated gif for the email button which calls "mailto:".
Be well. Prof. A. out.